Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Kolsch By Any Other Name

I brewed a Kolsch once before.

It is a beer that does well at the lower end of the temperature range, 50-62, but can tolerate up to 70 degrees, though it gives you a different texture. I had been searching for a base beer for my entry into the Fruit beer competition. I wanted something that could carry a fruit fruit flavor in both taste and scent, or at least something that I could invoke with other means. then I had to decide what fruits I wanted to consider.

Dates.
Cherries.
Plums.
Marionberry.
Peach.
Pear.
Lemons.

For each of these I considered a style that would highlight the fruit. Given time and equipment I needed to make sure would be able to brew this with time to spare for a taste. The most awesome group of women beer drinkers, the LOLAs (Ladies of Lagers and Ales) were able to secure a brewing date with Ben Flerchinger from Lucky Lab to brew a beer for Lucky Lab. One of the styles considered was a Kolsch. I imagined something light, aromatic, fruity and tart. Just right for summer. While we developed the recipe for the brewery, I worked out a scaled down version. We are also planning on taking a bit from the main batch and making a fruit beer for the competition as well.

Well this beer is not a traditional Kolsch, more like a kolsch-inspired beer. I've chosen my fruit and I'm hoping it will complement the style. I resist the urge to tamper too much with the recipe and avoid adding to many extras to the secondary because I think I need a more layered flavor. I can always make it again and try something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment