Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A better Tuesday

Well I locked the cat out earlier so I got two good hours of sleep instead of just one when the early AM crazies struck my cat. Right now I'm sitting a coffeeshop with friends working on a cover letter and reading posts from one of the wine forums that I'm on. Right now the big thing is trying to figure out the science of acids in wine-making. I wish I was more scientifically-inclined and that I had a little more space where I could do some experimentation. My science goes as far as keeping fairly good track of the SG and the dates of when I make changes to my wine, like moving from carboy to carboy or adding spices. I created a spreadsheet for that which should make keeping my life in order a ot easier.

My new fermenters and carboys should be coming to the house within the next couple of days, and I'll then rack the IRC Blueberry to a new carboy to wait out the final bit of fermentation then degas and stablize it. Hope to have it bottled by the middle of April. I wasn't sure if I should degas then stablize it all in one sitting or not.

Iron Range Cutie Blueberry Spice (1 gal)
3lbs Blueberry Puree
2lbs of sugar
1tsp acid blend
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
Montrachet yeast
SG was 1.120

Ended up moving this to a larger primary fermenter and added more water to make 3 gal, another 1 1/2lbs of sugar, more acid blend.

That one has been sitting for about 4 weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment