Sunday, March 22, 2009

I visited Hawaii


Well not literally, one of the meads I'm making I named it Hawaii. It's been sitting for about 3 weeks and slowly fermenting away I decided to just move it to a gallon jug today and check the SG. It's dropped to about 1.060 from 1.068 so it's slowly making it's way through fermentation. I know it's going to be at least a couple of months before it's done. I'm worried that the yeast will stall. It's this pretty lemony color, and clearer and than when it first went in.

This is suppose to be a Sack Mead from Wild Wines and Meads. I used MN Clover Honey and it's meant to be sweet, though I'm partial to dry wines and meads. I doubt I'll get it to under 1.000 even with the Champagne yeast, which can tolerate higher alcohol levels. I'm still working out the how the acids effect the overall flavors.

I probably didn't need to rack this one into a jug but I felt better after doing it. There is something soothing about tending to my various projects in all their stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment