Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I just checked on my package. It is now on a truck and out for delivery and hopefully I will be seeing that snazzily dressed fedex person putting a box on my door step. I am also hoping that my package of longer pipets will be arriving to day as well, so I can check SG of my meads in the jugs.

I hadn't checked the SG of the grape must yet because I added pectic enzyme yesterday because I forgot to do that when I put the grapes in because I just wasn't thinking that grapes needed it. I knew that other fruits especially apples really need the enzyme to break down the pectin; I assumed I need to add it to the other fruit wines but didn't occure to me that grapes needed it.

Oh a funnier but kind disappointing note. Remember I added the hops to the fermenter and I posted my recipe on my forum. Turns out I should have boiled the hops with the honey or at least boiled them separately and added the water and the hops to the fermenter. So besides smelling great a few folks figured that the hops wouldn't apart too much flavor at all. So next batch I will boil the hops before hand and add that water to the fermenter.

The must is fermenting much faster than I expected. It must be because of the malt and ale yeast because I think honey is slow to ferment down.

No comments:

Post a Comment