Tuesday, April 14, 2009

update on the braggot


I held off from pushing down the must yesterday and waited until this morning to check the SG and check on the fermentation. It has a really strong hoppy aroma and though I really wanted a sweet hoppy mead I am not sure if the smell is an indicator of the level of flavor. Only time and experience will tell me what I need to know. I still can't tell a whole lot from jsut tasting as I go. partially because it usually just tastes awful but I know I have to keep tasting in order to identify the kinds of flavors at the various stages. I'm debating about racking it into gallon jugs to finish fermenting to get it off the hops.

The SG of the must as of today is around 1.050 and I'm hoping it'll drop to under 1.000, fermenting to dy, which would mean the yeast went above it's alcohol tolerance of 10% .

I woke to the pleasant surprise of a bubbling airlock on the grape must. It still have a few more days in the primary maybe more and I was going to check the SG reading. I was dreaming of wine last night. I think I was more worried about it than I needed to be and this hobby is an exercise in patience.

I'm still waiting on my shipment of new jugs and I want to get this pinot grigio in the fermenter before I leave town so I can rack it when I get back.

On a front not directly related to the wines I have going, one of the forums I'm on the administrator posted a picture of himself so we could put a name and a face. This prompted a bunch of the regulars to post their pictures. No one looks like what I expected, though I had assumed they were all white and older. I think I was the biggest surprise. One of the guys said he pictured me as this long haired girl with a cowboy hat and on a horse. I thought it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment