Thursday, April 9, 2009

My first grape wine


Taking a break from work and doing a quick post about the grape wine I'm starting. It doesn't look like something that has started wars or made grown men and women do things they only write about in letters that generations later their children's children marvel at.

So far the problems I've encountered are not insurmountable. The grapes weren't as sweet as I thought. I ended up putting 6 cups of sugar in the must, the ph was about 3.2 and I'm not sure what that level acid needs to be at, so I didn't put much acid blend in. The brix scale read at 27 after all the sugar which turned out to be 15.5% potential alcohol.

Recipe:

4lbs black and red grapes
6 cups of sugar
Montrachet yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 cup white grape juice
2 campden tablets
1/2 tsp acid blend

No comments:

Post a Comment