Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Brown Ale, my version.

I started a new batch of brown ale using the yeast from the previous batch. I didn't use a kit instead I found a recipe, it's still an extract with grains but it uses DME. This was the first time I have used it and I can honestly say that adding DME to a hot wort is absolutely a pain in the ass. I tried the sifting method but the steam rising up from the boil made the powder condense into hard knots that clogged the sifter. I poured it in and spent lots of time breaking up the clumps I only used about 2# of DME instead of the 3# that I had originally planned because I just got too fed up. Experience teaches. I know that cold water doesn't cause the DME to clump up as bad so I think maybe I'll pre dissolve the DME in cool water and add it to the wort instead of trying to add it dry. I'll end up using less water in the initial boil.

I'm also going to add this to the yeast of the previous batch I just racked to the secondary. I read that this can be done. Now I'm just waiting for the wort to cool enough to pitch it into the fermenter, add a little nutrient and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment