Thursday, July 9, 2009

What I'm growing to hate about being the lone..

Granted I am not as skilled as others who have jumped into the whole wine/beer brewing thing, but I'm not an idiot. I do my research and ask questions that make sense. I do not just buy random items and jerryrig a setup and then ask questions in forums and expect that I should get answers, having not done my homework. So I think I get to be a bit of a bitch when I think someone is being condescending towards me.

What brought on this little rant?

Braggots. Not well documented and pretty much not as widely made as beer or mead. So my decision to focus on making braggots with a definable beer styles and with discernable mead characteristics and not call it a 'honey' beer is not just pulled out of my ass. I read what I could find and what was out there on all available forums. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm not some guy who does this because his buddies or his grandpa did it. I grew up with good beer, I've had an interest in making beer, and I have the time to learn how to make it...right.

So treat me like I know generally what contributions alpha and beta acids make to beer. I may not completel understand the whys and the hows but I know enough to make educated guesses and to know how to best proceed, whether it be jumping in with a trial and error and just make the batch and see how it goes or asking more questions of individuals who I know have more knowledge than myself. I also am very much aware that it will be years before I will be anything other than an amatuer and honestly I'm fine with that. I mean I do have a career and beer and wine making in no way reflects my capabilities as an academic.

Course my knitting, well that's a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment