Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mango Melomel

I am not a big fan of mangoes.

I am a little obsessed about making wine.

I have a problem with buying over 5lbs of fruit from a store.

I do not drive.

These and a few others are reasons why making wine from fruit poses a bit of a problem for me. I know that it's cheaper to pick your own fruit, but by me not being able to drive, I'm kind of at the mercy of friends who may or may not want to get up at 8am and drive to a farm in rural minnesota to spend a few hours picking fruit that will see no immediate gratification.

That said I found a deal on what looks to be about 4 pounds of mangoes, which are now currently sitting on my counter waiting for me to chop em up and put them in a nylon bad and soak them in hot honey water. Ok, well maybe they aren't dreaming about that. I'm sure the idea of some woman approaching them with a large knife and slicing them into small bits, isn't the goal of every mango.

Why mangoes, if I don't particularly like them? Because they were a good deal and fruit is fruit and by the time the process of making them taste like sweet alcoholic goodness rolls around, they really don't taste like mangoes at all. I can live with that.

The other thing is that I have a hard time having empty primaries sitting around. Though my 6.5 gallon one is currently the home of my muscat, I have 3 one gallon primaries that are begging to be filled with something other than sanitizing solution.

Mango Mango Mango Melomel
4lbs of ripe mangoes
3lbs of honey
1tsp pectic enzyme
1.5 tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp tannin
Montrachet or CHampagne yeast
1 tsp pectic enzyme

No comments:

Post a Comment