Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cool down in record Time!


This deserves its very own post. I did not check the weather before I started brewing today. Imagine how not happy I was to realize that we were going to be in the 90+ weather and I was going to have to cool the wort down to under 80 quickly.

I had that chiller prepped and running and sanitizer before I brought the pot out. I dunked it in and then ran in the house and started to rehydrate the dry yeast. I was desperately hoping that I could get it down to under 80 in like 20-25 minutes. I guess the brew goddess was with me today because I got it to 78 in like 20 minutes, which was better than I hoped for. I had to do this in the yard close to bushes because that is where the shade was at 3pm.

Brought it in the house and poured it into the carboy with the waiting 1.5 gallons of cold water. It seemed to take longer because I had to clear the funnel screen of all the irish moss that clogged it. Barnaby had come over to see how things were going and get a taste of the wort and he said it was a little thin. That's what we were afraid of...well that and a super low gravity. If necessary I can add some water and honey later to during the fermentation process but right now I'm not terribly concerned. We ended up with about 4 gallons of wort and a gravity of 1.041.

With this information I can tweak the next batch of buckwheat and not make it gluten free, but I think I'll look online and see if there are other ingredients we can add to it to build body. This would explain why GF free beers are lagers, they tend to the thin side in comparison to ales in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment