Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Mashout and the Boil
















Oh so heavy! I really need to think about rigging something to hold the grains suspended over the pot so I don't physically have to do it. My delts got quite the workout. On the right is the bag of BW in a strainer over a pot to drain. On the left is the wort on the verge of boiling. I decided to only do 45 minute boil because I wasn't looking to have a lot of hop flavor just enough. Not to mention that I was using really low Alpha hops, aroma hops to be specific. I'm sure there's a reason that you don't use aroma for bittering, besides the obvious.

This went relatively well, especially because this time I put the hops in a bag and not let them run willynilly all through the pot, like grade schoolers. I was always a firm believer that children should be confined, and now I think the same should go for leaf hops. Once I got the boil going on I could do the extract additions whenever I wanted, except for the honey I added that at the 10 minute mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment