Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Mash














Ok so now we've moved into the official letting it sit for 45 minutes until conversion. I added the enzymes and soon will be heating up the sparge water and then it's off to a boil and extract additions. This GF is done without any sorghum extract, which I believe is somewhat unusual.

Barnaby wants a low alcohol, lightly hopped, fairly dry beer. I'm hoping I can make that happen. I took a reading of the decoction and I had 0 brix. I had a 0 brix in the mash. Now I'm about 30 minutes into it after adding the amylase at under 150 degrees and I took a reading and I got a brix of 5. A significant jump which tells me that there is conversion happening. I don't expect the efficiency to be high on this at all.

The picture to the right is a sample I took. It would be awesome if the end resulting color was that but I think it might end up a little darker. To the right is the decoction. I think it went ok. It definitely raised my temperature and I was mashing at temps between 140-149 because I was adding amylase enzymes.

No comments:

Post a Comment