Monday, August 16, 2010

This is after the first hour! I was really surprised at how brown they were getting in what I thought was amount of time. I took them out and moved them around to get the more cooked ones into the middle and the less cooked out towards the side. It looks like the top rack is less than stellar place to be in the oven so I put the more done looking tray on that one when I put the BW back in for it's next stage. I upped the temp to about 225 and set the timer for 30 minutes. It smells really nutty here in the kitchen. The pungent sprouty smell is almost gone and now it smells almost meaty and nutty in here. There's no way I could have just set these in the oven and walked away until the timer went off. I believe there will be a small window between well roasted and done and completely fucked. I'm hoping to not sail through the window headfirst and fall screaming to my death.

So my friend comes by after walking the dog and walks in and the first words out of her mouth are, "God, that smells awful!" I kind of laughed. After the sprouty smell I think it smells fine. I'm tempted to taste a few when they come out.

During the course of this post I've made a temp adjustment to 250 and put the clock back to 30 minutes. It's roasting out nicely. Some are truly getting charred and toasty (the smaller ones) and others are in the mid range.

No comments:

Post a Comment