Sunday, August 15, 2010

Success!

It was touch and go for awhile but I woke to this. The buckwheat, from here on out to be known as BW, had started sprouting little rootlets. Not all, but a good many. I'm planning on talking with a friend who is food science teacher about the process, including what kinds of container would be best so I don't weigh down the seeds.

The next time I do this I'm going to do less than the four pounds I initially dumped into a bowl and I don't have to let them soak for 2 days. Maybe a few hours and then put them in a colander. The rinsing is the key I think because these babies get really slimy and seem to be constantly oozing starch. We've had weather here in Portland that has been over 95 degrees and I was a little concerned that it was a little too hot but the kitchen is pretty comfortable. I had initially put them in Barnaby's wine work area but changed my mind and brought them up because I was worried about mold and bacteria and what those would do to the BW. I'm really sensitive to mold and I always get stuffy and sneezy when I spend to much time in their basement. Besides I was being over-protective as usual and wanted the BW where I could keep a constant eye on it.

The next step is drying and roasting the BW.

No comments:

Post a Comment