Monday, August 16, 2010

Sprouts are finding their way to the oven

Today was a good morning to do the BW. It's cool outside so I can have the kitchen door open and
nice breeze is blowing in. The whole place smells like bean sprouts, it's going to get pretty cloying really quick I have a feeling.

Ok so back to the roasting. I decided not to do the roasting at the house I"m living in,even though it's only 2 doors away, because I didn't want to carry cookie sheets of sprouts, and I realized after I'd filled the fourth cookie sheet and hadn't even gotten the rest out of the bowl that this was going to be more involved than planned. It would be better to take up more space in the house I started the project in than try and move everything and realize what I need is back at the first place. So I had to make sure that my notes said where I was doing this, so that I didn't try to duplicate the process. Barnaby and Olga of Teutonic Wines have a convection oven so I'm hoping I can get at least 2 racks at a time done in there and cut down on needing to be at this all damn day. Thankfully, they're both out and about today so I'm not in anyone's way.

I read that you could roast BW wet or dry so that solved the problem of waiting to long to roast. I worried that the little sprouts would get too long and the BW would lose viability. It seems like they've doubled in length overnight. I was pleasantly surprised when I came in and saw them. this picture doesn't really do them justice, I just wanted to show them on the cookie sheets.

I preheated the oven to 300 degrees on regular bake for a half hour, per instructions from the owner of said tempermental oven, and then dropped the temp down to 200 and switched it to convection. There was room in the oven for three cookie sheets evenly spaced so I put them all in. I'll keep checking and if needed I can take one out and rearrange so there's more even heat distribution. It'll bake for 1 hour at 200 and then you bring up the temp 25 degrees at a time for 30 minute intervals until you reach the color you want.

I'm resisting the urge to check on it constantly since I know that drops the temperature and causes longer cooking time. There's still at least another 2.5# to roast today.

No comments:

Post a Comment