Saturday, August 14, 2010


From Food Matters

How to Sprout Buckwheat: Place 1 1/2 Cups of buckwheat groats into a bowl and cover it with 2- 3 times as much room temperature water. Mix the seeds up so that none are floating on the top. Allow the seeds to soak for about an hour. Drain the water in a colander and let them stand, rinsing 3 times per day with cool water for 2 days. You will notice a gooey substance on the buckwheat, which is starch. Make sure that you wash this off thoroughly. Spouts will form after a day or two.

So because this was my first effort every little thing appears to be the tip of the failure iceberg. After soaking and rinsing the buckwheat in water for two days my friend Barnaby, whose house we're doing all this in, calls me this morning and says it's possible that the buckwheat was already processed and not going to sprout. Both of us were thinking that it was a good thing we picked up amylase enzyme to put in the mash. Before I totally threw in the towel I searched online and found this food website which gave clearer directions than any of the entries written by the brewers that malted. I have to remind myself to write a better entry when I post my recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment